Siimon Reynolds’ book Why People Fail with Kevin Lovewell – Chapter 3

Other people don’t kill our dreams – We do! … a continuing discussion about Siimon Reynolds’ book “Why People Fail” with Kevin Lovewell

Chapter 3: Low Productivity

The argument at the heart of chapter three is that within “high achievement” lies a really focused approach to resolving issues of time wasting.

Siimon applies the Pareto principle – commonly known as the 80/20 rule. This rule is generally associated with sayings such as “80% of your revenue is generated by 20% of your clients” or “80% of the results come from 20% of the actions” … and so it is with time; 80% of your time is spent doing “stuff” that doesn’t matter and 20% of the work you do produces 80% of your value. Therefore, by concentrating all day on that important 20% – you can literally gain a 400% increase in productivity. That represents a hell of a wow factor to think if you can remember to apply some of Siimons tips and avoid the traps.

If you accept that 80% of what you do each day is unimportant, rush through it to the finish. Don’t attempt perfection, nor finesse and strive to finish without having to leave and return. Do you have trouble deciding what to tackle first? Try this set of priorities; Do what you love, delegate the unimportant, the things you are not good at and delegate what you don’t enjoy doing.

That’s easier said than done in micro-businesses, so Siimon produces a few more tips; Try the two minute rule: That is anything that can be done in two minutes – like replying to emails, gets done immediately, the rest prioritise. Using simple priority mechanisms like A, B, and C: This means the A’s are there because they are vital to business value, they represent really important and valuable tasks for the business. B is important but not so valuable and C is relatively unimportant.planning-705x468

Being organised is being logical, avoiding interruptions, trying to block the day into ten minute task lots and placing emphasis on a work environment that helps not hinders you.

Finally, Siimon wins me with his golden rule “plan”. Planning is important even if taken to the extent of putting aside fifteen minutes at the conclusion of each day to put in position a plan for the activities of tomorrow.

The “to do” list for small businesses according to Siimon should now contain “Hire an assistant.” Think about it; if the average business owner spends just 20% doing the value adding things – 80% of the work is not! If you could be doing the 20% of the work time after time, the stuff that really brings the value into the business, getting some-one else to do the other 80% of the “stuff” seems simple. Hiring the assistant is the most logical and intelligent next step.

Right?

Action Step
So few people plan what they are going to do because we are so focused on the technical “do, do, do and do faster”. Stop, think it through, the goal, the action, and what success looks like.

1 – Taken from the book “Why People Fail – the sixteen obstacles to success and how to overcome them” – Siimon Reynolds

If you need more information, please talk to me:

Kevin Lovewell

0401 308 385

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are those of the Writer. The information is not meant to be exhaustive. Readers are responsible for making their own inquiries and assessments as to the truth and accuracy of all the information given and should seek advice from professionals. No liability (in contract, tort or otherwise) will be accepted for any loss or damage incurred as a result of reliance upon any material contained in this publication or any information or advice provided in this publication or incorporated in it.

Kevin Lovewell

M: 0401-308-385
E: Click here to contact Kevin Lovewell
Member & Registered Business Valuer
Australian Institute of Business Brokers

Graham Long

M: 0428-649-791
E: Click here to contact Graham Long
Member & Registered Business Valuer
Australian Institute of Business Brokers

Kevin Lovewell

M: 0401-308-385
E: Click here to contact Kevin Lovewell
Member & Registered Business Valuer
Australian Institute of Business Brokers
What others say about Kevin Lovewell

Graham Long

M: 0428-649-791
E: Click here to contact Graham Long
Member & Registered Business Valuer
Australian Institute of Business Brokers
What others say about Graham Long

For Quick Contact

Fill in details below and we will contact you as soon as possible.

©2019 Copyright - Negotia Group | Web Design by Online Specialists | Privacy Policy | Sitemap
Negotia Group
PO BOX 100 Beachmere
QLD4510 Australia
Call 1300-551-757